Friday, July 4, 2008

Blessings falling all around

We are being so blessed that I am feeling spoiled, like a favored daughter of God. Brandt's finger is regenerating and it already looks completely different. The bone is no longer exposed and he may have a fingernail grow back as well. That is way more than we expected given the first set of x-rays. When you look at the second set, it is hard to believe that in 8 days, a finger could change so much. How grateful I am for the priesthood and the home teachers who came on Sunday to bless our family. My foot surgery went well and although I wasn't expecting to be out of commission like I have been, everything has come together perfectly. My neighbors and board members came through, like always, and I have been able to rest a ton. I was driven to appointments and brought in meals and my kids were kept safe. I have kept my foot up and not had to do much of anything except watch movies and friends' episodes. Mandee came through like always and she held my hand while I yelled getting my shot. Me, who can go through natural childbirth, I about jumped off of the table. And I was so scared that I had to sing throughout the procedure which made my doctor smile. There is much in my life that I couldn't go through without Mandee and medical procedures seem to be near the top of the list. My kids spent the night and whole day with Michelle and I started to ponder the blessings of not having any family around to help me. There are many. The most important one seems to be that I am learning to rely on others and become interdependent with the imperfect but wonderful people around me. I sometimes hate that I am imperfect but as I ponder the love I feel for others who have crosses to bear and faults similar or different than mine, I am filled with hope. How beautiful to see, really see, another human being. And to know that Heavenly Father has that clarity with me all the time overwhelms my heart. With family around, I would not have learned to ask for help and I would not have accepted it when offered. I can see that the Lord knows me well and has designed my trials specifically with me in mind. If Graham were here, I would have had him do everything to avoid inconveniencing anyone else. I am prideful and like to be strong and stoic and alone; no wonder I have been given so many opportunities to learn to live through trials with others aiding me. I need help sometimes. The Lord provides the people to do the helping and I just have to be gracious enough to accept their love and feel the deep gratitude that comes with that humility. What a wonderful week and a half this has been!

No comments: