Sunday, June 8, 2008

Becoming Jane

Dedicated to Charlotte Bronte who introduced me to my hero, Jane Eyre. She is my inspiration.

Rain and wind
whipping into my face
running and stumbling
leaving without a trace

Running blindly
I cannot even see
the only direction
comes from the voice inside of me

The golden meadow is my bed
the stars comfort me
My bible holds my weary head
cold envelops me completely

Working hard to let you go
nothing honorable left to say
Grief pierces my aching heart
at the end of another day

No matter where I go
no matter what I do
I will always be haunted
by the memory of you

Looking east at the coming dawn
I remember my heart’s song
yet I weep as I work
and I wonder how long

Wanting to be Jane
and praying that I might
transform my soul
into something right

Jane whose actions
ruled her emotion
Jane who bled
silently
and showed the Lord her devotion
instead
She honored herself
when she fled
from his presence
She honored the Lord
with her very existence

I am becoming Jane
I am becoming true
I am serving the Lord
as I run from you

I am becoming Jane
if it takes me the whole of my life
There is value in doing what’s right
in the middle of terrible strife

I am becoming Jane
and it hurts like hell
to stretch my heart
and never tell

Remember Jane
loved Mr. Rochester true
She fled and suffered
just like me and you

Remember Jane
risked life and limb
to show her honor
to God and within

With her feet
she walked the path
many choose to avoid
She claimed her victory
at the very end
when she was with the Lord

She gave up her love
her life, her joy
It took an extraordinary toll
She almost died
under the weight
but she never surrendered her soul

No comments: