Friday, March 26, 2010

Second Chair

I'm sitting in
The Second Chair
The First one empty
The First one bare
But shrouded still
In dust and grime
Holding captive
The Audience divine
I'm playing softly
Harmonizing near
Beautiful truths
The Audience can’t hear
I'm inept at this
I can be only me
Sitting here loyally
Playing for thee
Like a lady-in-waiting
Manners and grace
Delighting in the court
Bearing the wrong face
I was scared to play
So I started late
In case I'd fail
And seal my fate
But timidly I began
To learn the song
And grow through practice
It's taken so long
I've started and stopped
Not wanted to care
But I always return
To my Second Chair
And regally I've sat
As if on a throne
But truth be told
I've been playing alone
To the Audience empty
Who left with the first
My seat is secure
But my chair is cursed...

No comments: